Gaza Solidarity Subway Action (2014)
In August 2014, members of Librarians and Archivists with Palestine staged an action in solidarity with the people of Gaza: we rode the NYC subways of NYC, reading excerpts of Palestinian literature and poetry aloud as we traveled. We also passed out double-sided bookmarks containing bits of a poem by Taha Muhammad Ali and the URLs of selected websites. (To read a press release describing this action and to see photos, click here.) Below are the materials and statements we created and gathered in preparation for that project.
Solidarity Statement: Librarians, Archivists, + Information Workers Call for End of Siege on Gaza, 07/31/14
As librarians, archivists, and information workers we believe it is our ethical obligation to speak out in the face of injustice. We call on our peers and colleagues to demand an end to Israel’s military attacks, as well as an end to the ongoing siege of Gaza.
The current Israeli attacks on Gaza have resulted in over 1300 deaths, including over 200 children, as well as the displacement of over 200,000 people. We deplore the violence currently being inflicted by the Israeli military on the Palestinian people and on critical infrastructure, including water, sanitation and electrical services, roads, hospitals, and schools. We recognize that the current attacks on Gaza are part of an ongoing history of colonial violence and occupation inflicted by the state of Israel on Palestinians for over six decades. In particular, Israel’s land, air, and sea blockade of Gaza has made it extremely difficult and in many cases impossible for Palestinians to travel in and out of Gaza and to access crucial goods, supplies, and natural resources.
Please phone your elected representatives, write letters to local and national news outlets, and join local actions demanding an end to the Israeli attacks and siege of Gaza, and a withdrawal of US military aid to Israel. We also call on our peers and colleagues to boycott and divest from companies profiting from Israel’s occupation and colonization of Palestine. Find out more information here: US Campaign to End the Israeli Occupation and Samidoun list of protests.
- Librarians and Archivists with Palestine (librarianswithpalestine.org | @Librarians2Pal)
- Progressive Librarians Guild (http://www.progressivelibrariansguild.org/)
- Bibliotek i Samhäle (BiS), Sweden (http://foreningenbis.com/)
Literature, News, and Other Resources about Gaza Under Attack
News and Analysis
- Institute for Palestine Studies, Special Focus: Gaza Under Attack. A collection of articles from previous issues of the Journal of Palestine Studies that feature analysis and reporting on past and current Israeli military attacks on Gaza.
- Electronic Intifada: #gazaunderattack
- IMEMC (International Middle East Media Center)
- Arablit blog, 8 to Read from Gaza
- For Lives Undone: Gaza Summons Its Writers to Speak (Shahadat, Spring 2012)
- Gaza Names Project
Other Groups’ Statements from or about Gaza
- Librarians and Archivists with Palestine Gaza Statement
- African Americans for Justice in the Middle East and North Africa (AAJMENA) Statement
- Black Progressives Call for Action on Palestine
- Haider Eid, From Gaza to Obama: An Open Letter (2009)
- No Ceasefire without Justice for Gaza
- An Open Letter for the People of Gaza
Resources for Activism and Solidarity
- Librarians and Archivists with Palestine Gaza Solidarity Action Packet
- Samidoun: Protests Around the World in Response to the Assault on Gaza
- BDS Movement (Palestinian National BDS Committee)
- US Campaign to End the Israeli Occupation
- Handala Has a Posse
- Ghassan Kanafani, All That’s Left to You: A Novella and Short Stories (Interlink, 2004)
- Atef Abu Seif, ed., The Book of Gaza: A City in Short Fiction (Comma, 2014)
Memoir and Life Writing
- Laila El-Haddad, Gaza Mom: Palestine, Politics, Parenting, and Everything in-Between (Just World Books, 2010)
- Ghassan Kanafani, Letter from Gaza
- Refaat Al-Areer, ed., Gaza Writes Back (Just World Books, 2014)
- Jehan Bseiso, “Gaza, from the Diaspora” (The Electronic Intifada, July 28, 2014)
- Remi Kanazi, “Poem for Gaza”
- Rafeef Ziadah, “We Teach Life, Sir” (video)
- Suheir Hammad, Gaza Suite (video of Suheir Hammad reading 5 parts: Gaza, Rafah, Tel Al-Hawa, Jabalya, Zaytoun)
Materials we used in the action
- Click to see the readings we assembled for and read during the action.
- Below are the bookmarks we handed out as we read. (Feel free to download and use them!)